Friday, August 4, 2017

Andy Murray Withdrew from Rogers Cup

Andy Murray Withdrew from Rogers Cup

Andy Murray withdrew from next week's ATP Rogers Cup in Montreal, tournament officials said Thursday.

A nagging hip injury will keep Murray from the Canadian hardcourt tuneup for the US Open for the second year in a row after 11 previous consecutive appearances by the Scotsman.

"I am sad to be missing the tournament in Montreal because I have many great memories from my time in Canada," Murray said in a statement. "I am doing everything I can to return as quickly as possible."

Murray, a three-time Canada winner whose most recent title there came in 2015, has not played competitively since a five-set loss to Sam Querrey in a Wimbledon quarter-final last month.

Tournament director Eugene Lapierre said: "We would have liked for Andy to be able to defend his title that he won here in 2015, but we wish him a very speedy recovery."

Murray is listed to compete at the US Open's final warm-up event - the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati - starting on August 14 but there is no word yet on whether he will be there.

His absence leaves Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer as the top seeds in Montreal.